Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Ride Home



Commuting an hour to work every day has its upsides and downsides. I have plenty of time in the morning to let my brain get warmed up for the day, especially after finishing off a travel mug of tea during the trip. I have the luxury of knowing exactly when I'll need gas, so I can plan to stop at the cheapest gas station on the entire trip (there is currently a 25¢ difference from the best to the worst).

Now, the downsides are pretty obvious. I spend as much as $100 a week in gas, I lose two hours of leisure (or sleep...) time, and my air conditioning is broken, so I arrive home looking like I was running for an hour rather than driving.

All of that aside, there is one aspect to the trip that easily makes it worthwhile: The scenery. Yes, I know I've lived in New Hampshire for my entire life (sans-college), but there are some things you appreciate more when you have two hours a day to look at them. The above Flickr set (click the picture!) consists of just the few sights I managed to capture that did justice to the real thing. Hopefully I'll be able to slowly add to that, but these are a nice start.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

moo!

Unknown said...

this area has some amazing drive. When I was working for the Compass school (it was only a half hour commute, to Westminster station) but I LOVED the drive. I can totally get where you're coming from, not many people seem to appreciate things such as these. Nice to hear I'm not the only one...what route do you take?

Samuel Colburn said...

At the time I was driving down 12A from Plainfield NH, then hopping the covered bridge to route 5 to interstate 91, and then coming across 121 to 12 all the way into keene.

Google Map

In a way I really miss the ride. Now I wake up and and drive for only two minutes to get to work.